The End of Romans
I. It’s about PEOPLE (v. 1-16, 21-23; 1:8-15)
A. DIVERSITY: It’s not a BUG, it’s a FEATURE (v. 1-16; Gal. 3:28)
B. COOPERATION: The BODY works TOGETHER (v. 1-16; I Cor. 12:12-27; Rom. 12:5; Eph. 4:15-16)
C. EQUALITY: Beyond TOLERANCE, a Sanctified LOVE (v. 16; Eph. 4:2; Col. 3:12-14)
II. It’s about UNITY (v. 17-20)
A. Watch for DIVIDERS (v. 17-18; Matt. 7:15-20; Titus 1:10-16)
B. Hold fast to the TEACHING (v. 16-19; Rom 6:17; Titus 1:9; 2 Tim. 2:23; Gal. 1:6-10)
C. A Return to the GARDEN (v. 18-20; Matt. 10:16; Gen. 3:15)
III. It’s about GOD (v. 25-27)
A. The Good NEWS of the Open SECRET (v. 25-26; Col. 1:26; Eph. 3:6)
B. A TRUST that Leads to True LIVING (v. 26; Matt. 11:28-30)
C. Praise GOD that GOD is not the GOD we thought GOD was (v. 27; Isa. 55:8-9)
Questions for Further Reflection
1. Kid’s Question: What does diversity mean? Does our church have diversity?
2. In what ways does the diversity of the church make things difficult? How is diversity meant to be a strength?
3. What does Paul’s acknowledgment of his fellow labourers tell you about his ministry?
4. What do you think Paul would make of the language of tolerance in our culture today?
5. How do we tell the difference between someone who is divisive and someone who merely believes differently than we do?
6. What are the non-negotiables of faith? How do we learn to hold loosely that which is open to interpretation?
7. What do you imagine it would like for the God of peace to crush Satan underneath your feet? What would your life look like?
8. What does the “revelation of the mystery” mean to us today?
9. In what ways has God shown Himself to be different than you expected? How have these revelations changed your relationship with God?