Grace Fellowship Baptist Church
had its beginnings in a missionary effort sponsored by the West Coast Childrens Mission, an outreach program of the Mennonite Brethren Churches of British Columbia. In the mid 1940s, two young ladies, held Sunday School classes and Vacation Bible Schools at the old Memorial Hall or by renting meeting rooms in a local motel.
GBC on 3rd Ave Hope BC
In the spring of 1946, Peter and Susie Teichroeb came to Hope to continue the work with the children. There were no kindergarten classes or pre-school programs of any type in Hope at that time and the Teichroebs busy and exciting programs were warmly received by parents and children alike. The pastoral couple soon became known as Uncle Pete and Aunt Susie, and are often remembered in these terms by the parents and children of that era. It is noted in a book on the history of Hope that all doors in Hope were open to the pastor. As the Word of God was faithfully preached, the work expanded into a thriving little congregation, which was formally recognized in 1950 as the Wallace Street Baptist Church. Pastor Teichroeb’s vision for work among children has remained. Many depend on God through prayer, while serving Jesus joyfully, doing His will among the community of Hope.
Through the years, the Church has continually grown under the ministry of dedicated pastors. The faithful preaching of Gods Word is still vital and many people have come to realize and accepted the fact that God is calling them back into a personal relationship with Him. As we look back over the years, we must celebrate Gods goodness to His people and say with the hymn writer, To God Be the Glory, Great Things He Has Done.