A Tale of Two Revelation 19:11-21 July 17th, 2016
I. Heaven has OPENED (Rev. 19:11)
This is the CULMINATION of a PROGRESSION (4:1, 11:9, 15:5)
No CONFUSING CREATURES, instead a RECOGNIZABLE RIDER (v. 11-13)
And again, we are commanded: LOOK! (19:11)
II. A WARRIOR like youve never SEEN (Rev. 19:11-16)
He is TRUE (v. 11)
He will SEE and JUDGE (v. 11-12)
One HEAD, many CROWNS (v. 12)
No one OWNS Him, No one KNOWS Him (v. 12)
He is SLAIN (v. 13)
He is the WORD (v. 13)
He is the KING of KINGS (v. 16)
III. A BATTLE that is never FOUGHT (Rev. 19:19-20)
A DECISIVE VICTORY over EVIL (v. 15, 17-21)
One WEAPON: His WORD (v. 15)
An ARMY of PRIESTS (v. 14)
IV. A REBELLION that never REPENTS (Rev. 19:19)
One DINNER or ANOTHER (v. 6-9, 17-21))
With JUSTICE He JUDGES (v. 11)
V. The REVELATION for TODAY HEAVEN, REVELATION, the BIBLE, & HISTORY are all about a PERSON (v. 11)
We FOLLOW as Jesus LEADS (v. 14-15)
The WAR is OVER (v. 20-21, Rev. 20, Rev. 5)
1. Revelation has had the recurring theme of heaven being closer than we typically think. In what ways have you experienced the unveiling of heaven in your own life?
2. What attributes in the description of Jesus do you most appreciate?
3. Is there anything in this description of Jesus that makes you uncomfortable? Why is that?
4. How does this description of the battle of Armageddon compare to what you typically envision when you hear the word?
5. Why is the distinction, Not God vs. Man but God vs. Evil an important distinction to make?
6. Revelation 19 gives us a picture of two dinners: The Wedding Supper of the Lamb and The Great Supper of God. The dinner guests and party activities vary significantly. How do you feel about this dichotomy?
7. What sticks out to you the most about the way that Jesus defeats evil?
8. Whether Revelation is about a future event or something that has already taken place, what does the certainty of the outcome mean for us?
There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, Thy will be done and those to whom God says, in the end, Thy will be done.