Time for a New Leader…or is it?
I. It’s a TIME of TRANSITION. (v.1-6)
A. WAITING for a GENERATION to die. (Numbers 14)
B. A visible CHANGE of LEADERSHIP. (v.1-2)
C. LEARNING from jumping AHEAD. (5:13-15)
D. All our “LEADERSHIP” is FOLLOWING. (v.2-6)
So much is happening at the beginning of the book of Joshua. The children of Israel have been wandering in the desert for 40 years. All of the sudden Moses is gone…and God calls Joshua to take the helm of leadership. It’s time for a new leader…or is it? That’s the question we are going to look at today.
1. Kid’s Question: When have you had to wait from something so long it felt like it would drive you crazy?
2. What makes a good leader in our culture today? What do people expect from the leader?
II. What FOLLOWING the LEADER looks like. (v.3-15)
A. TRUSTING in the PROMISE of God. (v.3-6)
B. RESTING in the PRESENCE of God. (v.5,9)
C. ACTING in OBEDIENCE to God. (v.7-8)
D. MEDITATING on the WORD of God. (v.8)
E. Helping OTHERS to do the SAME. (v.10-16)
God gives Joshua some really good leadership counsel…but it really is just wisdom about how to follow God’s leadership. Often this passage is used to tell us just to buck up…to quite whining and be strong and courageous. But if we just stop there we miss what God is calling Joshua to do.
3. Which of these 5 aspects of following the leader is the easiest for you to do? Which is the greatest challenge?
4. What does “resting in God’s presence” actually look like? Do you do it on a regular basis? Why or why not?
5. What does it mean to mediate on the scripture? How do you do that? Is it a regular practice for you? Why or why not?
III. “…One step CLOSER to JESUS.” (James 4:8a)
A. LEADING people requires FOLLOWING Jesus. (1 Cor. 11:1)
B. INTERNALIZING the Word builds TRUST. (v.3-6,8; Ps 119:11; Ezek. 3:1-4;Rev.10:8-11)
C. Balancing ACTING and RESTING. (v.5-9; Phil. 2:12-13; Acts 17:24-25)
D. A WAY of LIFE not just KNOWLEDGE or BELIEFS. (v.10-18; Mt. 7:15-20; Lk.9:23)
Helping people take one step closer to Jesus is the mission with have adopted at GBC. It says several things that are core to our DNA as a church. First, everyone has a next step to take. We can all grow to know Jesus more deeply and to look more like him. But it also says that we need to help each other do that. What does our text teach us about living that mission out in Hope, BC today?
6. Where specifically do you think Jesus might be calling you to follow Him? What might that entail or look like in your life right now?
7. Is your faith more active or restful? Is that good or bad? What might God be saying to you through this text?
8. Is Christianity a way of life for you, or a specific system or knowledge and beliefs? How can you know the difference?