Gospel Freedom – Part 6 Faith Working Through Love Galatians 5:1-12 August 13th, 2017
I. It is for Freedom! (Gal. 5:1)
A. Christianity is about… Freedom? (5:1, John 8:32, Romans 6)
B. Slavery is slavery (5:1, 4:8-10, 1 Sam. 8:10-22)
C. Stand Firm! (5:1)
II. Only One Transaction (Gal. 5:2-6)
A. The Value of Christ (5:2, Phil. 3:8)
B. Not A La Carte (5:3)
C. Beneficiaries cannot be Debtors (5:2,4)
III. Faith works through Love (Gal. 5:6)
A. Love is the tool in the hand of Faith
B. Love doesn’t earn, it evidences
C. Love overcomes guilt, fear, and greed
IV. Run the Race (5:7-12)
A. One wrong turn… (5:7-9)
B. Penalties and Persecution (5:10-12)
C. Return to the Cross (5:1, 5:11, Heb. 12:1-2)
Questions for Further Reflection
1. Do you see Freedom as a central part of Christianity? In your experience, do non-believers view Christianity as freedom or slavery?
2. What is the most tempting route to slavery for you?
3. What ways can you practically stand firm in your freedom and resist the yoke of slavery?
4. What additions are you tempted to add to your relationship with God? Where do those temptations come from?
5. Why are we so desperate to earn God’s grace? What keeps us from accepting God’s free gift?
6. What does faith look like without love? Why is it essential that faith works through love?
7. How do we walk the line of seeing love as the fruit of our faith without becoming obsessed with the works we do?
8. Of all the things that love overcomes, which is the biggest struggle for you: guilt, fear, or greed?
9. As you look back over the race that you’ve run, have you made any wrong turns? Retrace your steps to see in what ways you might have led yourself astray.
10. What does it look like for you to deposit the check of Christ’s benefit to you every day?