Foundations – Exodus Who is Yahweh? Exodus 5-6:11 September 23, 2018
I. The BIBLICAL Call to JUSTICE is about…
A. An End to OPPRESSION (Isaiah 58:6)
B. Right RELATIONSHIP and RESTORATION (Isaiah 58:7)
C. A God who wants us to FOLLOW His LEAD (Luke 6:36, 1 Pet. 2:21, Eph. 5:1, Matt. 5:9)
II. “WHO is YAHWEH?” (Exodus 5:2)
A. A God who SEES (Exodus 3:7, 6:5; Gen. 16:13)
B. A God who STRETCHES out His arm (Exodus 6:1,6; Isaiah 59:1)
C. A God who SENDS (Exodus 3:10, 6:11; Judges; Acts 9; Isaiah 6)
III. The GOOD NEWS of God’s RIGHTEOUSNESS and JUSTICE
A. Jesus has REDEEMED us from SIN (Col. 1:13-14; Eph. 1:7)
B. RESTORATION is about NEW CREATION
C. GOD will do it… through YOU!
Questions for Further Reflection
1. Christians often struggle to balance Social Justice and Salvation, emphasizing one against the other. Why do you think it is so difficult to value both of these well?
2. What has been your typical understanding of the words “righteousness” and “justice”? How did the video challenge that understanding?
3. Pharaoh asks, Who is Yahweh?” This is a central question throughout Exodus. How would you answer this question?
4. The Israelites were in slavery for a very long time. How do you handle the silence of this God who sees?
5. How would you define sin? Take some time to reflect. What are the effects of sin? What does salvation from sin look like?
6. Kid’s Question: Have your parents ever trusted you to do a big job? How did that make you feel? Were you able to do it by yourself? How is this like God and how is it different?