Foundations – Exodus A Tale of Two Questions Exodus 33-34 November 18, 2018
I. The Petition for God’s PRESENCE (Exodus 33)
A. A DISTANT God (Exodus 33:1-6, 14, Psalm 13)
B. Moses INTERCEDES
i. Appeals to God’s FAITHFULNESS (Exodus 33:12-13)
ii. Links HIMSELF with ISRAEL (Exodus 33:15-16)
C. The POWER of RELATIONSHIP (Exodus 33:17)
2. The Request for God’s GLORY (Exodus 33:13, 18)
A. The TRANSCENDENT God draws NEAR (Exodus 33:9,11,19-23; 34:5-8)
B. God’s Glory: GOODNESS, MERCY, COMPASSION (Exodus 33:19; 34:6-7)
C. A Visible TRANSFORMATION (Exodus 34:29-35)
3. JESUS: The PRESENCE and GLORY of God
A. The INTERCESSOR for HUMANITY (Hebrews 4:14-16; Luke 23:34; Romans 8:34-39)
B. The FACE of GOD (John 1:18, John 14:9, 1 John 4:12, Revelation 22:3-4)
C. TRANSFORMING Glory (2 Corinthians 3)
Questions for further reflection:
1. When was a time that God seemed distant in your life? What were the circumstances? How did you handle it?
2. When has a relationship obligated you to more or less than you would otherwise do? What does it mean that we are in a relationship with God?
3. Glory is a Bible word that we don’t use too often in day to day life. What comes to mind when you think of God’s glory? How does the idea of Weight or Heaviness as the central meaning change that definition?
4. Kid’s Question: God is spirit, but what do you think God would look like if God had a body?
5. Moses undergoes a transformation as his skin radiates with God’s glory. How has your experience of God shaped or transformed you?
6. Does the way Jesus speaks about himself in the Gospel of John challenge the ways you conceive of the Trinity? Why or why not?
7. Is your glory the limited glory of Moses or the surpassing glory of the Spirit?