Isaiah: Preparing the Way ~ Part 1
A Highway for our God
Isaiah 40: 1-11; Matthew 3: 1-3
March 10, 2019
I. A TEXT for REFUGEES
A. A WORD of COMFORT (Isa. 40:1-2)
B. A PROMISE of RETURN (Isa. 40:3-5)
C. GOD will do it! (Isa. 40:5-11)
II. Matthew’s GOOD NEWS (Isa. 40:9-10)
A. ADMITTING a Harsh REALITY
B. Hope for a NEW ISRAEL (Matt. 3-4)
C. An UNEXPECTED TWIST (Matt. 16:21-25)
III. Making STRAIGHT PATHS
A. Preparing our HEARTS, HOMES, & WORLD (2 Timothy 2:21; Rev. 19:7)
B. LIFTING the LOW, HUMBLING the PROUD (Prov. 29:23; Rom. 12:3,16,20; Gal. 6:20; Phil. 2:3-4, James 4:10; 1 Pet. 5:5)
C. Maintaining our ALIEN STATUS (1 Peter 2:11-12; 2 Peter 3:13; Heb. 13:14; Phil. 3:20; Rom. 12:2; 1 John 2:15-17)
Questions for Further Reflection:
1. What do you know about the current refugee crisis in our world? Is there anything about this situation that speaks to you?
2. In what ways is the worldview of the Bible different from your own? Do you find this to be an obstacle in reading the Bible? What steps can you take to eliminate those difficulties?
3. Kids Question: What is the best news you have ever gotten? What made it so good?
4. Have you ever been disappointed by reality? How did you cope?
5. What would it look like for you to create straight paths in your heart? Your home? Our world?
6. What valleys in your sphere can you lift as a way of preparing the way for God?
7. What mountain in your own life can you lay low?
8. Have you travelled to a foreign land? What is it like to be a stranger in a strange land? How do we embrace the good in our world while living like exiles preparing the way?
“This world has nothing for me
And this world has everything
All that I could want
And nothing that I need”
~ This World, Caedmon’s Call