Matthew: The Story of the King ~ Part 4 What do you see? Matthew 9: 1-37 January 27, 2019
I. From TEACHING to ACTION. (Matthew 8-9)
A. RAPID fire MIRACLES. (Matt. 8-9)
B. SOME unorthodox METHODS. (9:8-17)
We have jumped over the Sermon on the Mount (Check out Adult SS in February for that) and Matthew starts sharing the incredible things that Jesus is doing. Miracle after miracle plays out in front of the people, and they are amazed as they see it. But not everyone is happy about what is going on.
1. Kid’s Question: Which of the miracles listed in Matthew 8 and 9 would have been your favourite to see in person? Why?
2. When have God’s methods of doing something in your own life surprised you?
II. Everyone SEES something DIFFERENT. (Matt. 13:13)
A. The MASSES see POWER. (v.8,26,33)
B. The POWERFUL see a THREAT. (v.3,11,34)
C. The SEEKERS have QUESTIONS. (v.14)
D. The NEEDY see WELCOME. (v.9-13)
The way we look at things is just that…the way WE look at things. Two people can look at the same thing and see something very different. Jesus is no different. There are a lot of people watching Him and what He is doing in this text. And they all see some very different things.
3. Which of the 4 categories of “seers” in the outline best describes you at this point in your life and why?
4. John’s disciples ask a question, if you could ask Jesus any question right now what would it be and why?
5. Who are the “Matthews” in our world today and how can we share the welcome of the gospel with them in a tangible relevant manner?
III. Two MIRACLES, and a MESSAGE. (v.27-37)
A. Opening EYES and MOUTHS. (v.27-34)
B. The call to SEE and SHARE. (v.35-37; Jn 4:35)
C. MESSAGE, MERCY, and COMPASSION. (v.35,36; Jn 20:21; 2 Cor. 4:1-7)
As is so often the case, the narrative of the Gospels tells us so much more than just what happened. The last miracles of our text serve as a vehicle to help us see what Jesus has done and what He is calling us to do.
6. How can you know if you have “eyes to see” or not? What role do relationships with other believers play in that?
7. Where is one specific place that you can share what you see in Jesus? How will you do that? When?
8. Of the three, message, mercy, and compassion, which is the least evident in your own life now and what can you do about that?