God is Faithful to His Purposes and Promises
I. The CONTEXT of a CONTENTIOUS Passage
A. POTTERS in the Bible (Jer. 18:1-10; Isaiah 45:9-13, 29:16, 64:8)
B. RIGHTEOUSNESS in Romans (Romans 2:5-11, 4:16, 5:1)
C. Retelling the STORY of ISRAEL (Romans 9:1-15)
II. Understanding the POTTER at His WHEEL (Romans 9:16-26)
A. Two PHASES of FORMING
B. “Who can RESIST His WILL?” We Have! (9:19, 1:18-21, 3:9-12)
C. The PRODUCTS RESHAPED with Patience (9:22)
D. VESSELS with a PURPOSE (9:22-24)
III. Two More METAPHORS and a SONG
A. RIGHTEOUSNESS from God: A STUMBLING BLOCK (9:30-10:4)
B. Covenant INCLUSION: A GRAFTED BRANCH (11:15-24)
C. A Song of HUMILITY Appropriate for CLAY and BRANCHES (11:33-36)
Questions for Further Reflection:
1. Kid’s Question: Is there a story in the Bible that doesn’t make sense to you or has confused you? What about it is hard to understand?
2. What has your understanding of Romans 9-11 been? How does viewing this as a letter to Roman Jews and Gentiles differ from viewing this as a theological textbook? What other areas of the Bible have we perhaps read from the wrong angle?
3. How does Paul’s understanding of Israel affect the way you understand your faith?
4. In what ways have you found yourself resisting God’s will?
5. What emotions does the image of the Potter at His wheel evoke for you?
6. In what ways do you stumble over the Gospel?
7. Is humility regarding your faith easy or difficult for you? Why do you think that is?
8. Is there anything that is keeping you from fully accepting the gift of a righteousness apart from works? Is there anything keeping your heart hardened from being shaped in the way God has planned for you?