The Tragic End of Samson
I. SAMSON’S final CHAPTER. (16:1-31)
A. Another WOMAN and the city GATES. (v.1-3)
B. What Samson DOES for LOVE. (v.4-20)
C. CAPTURE, Humiliation, and REVENGE. (v.21-31)
If you’re like me, you’ve had enough of Samson. Over the last 3 weeks we have systematically dismantled any sense of Godly hero from his resume. He was a person God used against the Philistines, but he was far from a role model.
1. Kid’s Question: What have you learned about Samson?
2. As you read the story of Samson’s life what emotions do you feel about him? What have you sensed God saying to you through his life?
II. Some PRINCIPLES of the SPIRITUAL life.
A. EVERYONE feels the LONGING. (Ecc. 3:11; Ps. 63:1)
B. Our HABITS shape our LOVES. (Rom. 8:5)
C. Our LOVES shape our LIVES. (Rom. 8:6)
D. God’s LOVE is the CATALYST. (Rom. 8:1,38-39; I Jn 4:19)
Once again we will take a step back from Samson’s life to look at a bigger picture, but this time one concerned with the way we grow in our spiritual lives (or maybe the way we don’t grow). There are some things that are common across the human experience, regardless of time or culture. These give us insight if we are willing to listen.
3. In what ways have you felt “the longing” in your own life? Was it a pleasant or difficult experience?
4. Jeff says that the things you do repeatedly, for good or bad, will shape what you grow to love. Agree or disagree and why?
5. Is it true to say that they things we love shape our lives more than the things we know? How have you seen this to be true?
III. The PEOPLE God USES…(Heb 11:32-34)
A. It’s about GRACE not PERFECTION. (v.28; Eph. 2:8-9)
B. It’s about SURRENDER not POWER/STRENGTH. (v.28; 2 Cor. 12:9)
C. Our CHOICES impact US, not God. (Jdg. 13-16; Acts 17:24-25)
Samson was used by God, despite his repeated failures to surrender to God’s nature and character. That gives hope to all of us, knowing that God can use even people who are so broken they can’t seem to ever get it right. God will finish what He has started.
6. Where has a desire for perfection weighed you down instead of opening you up to receive grace? Can you take advantage of God’s grace?
7. We all desire to do great things for God to some degree. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Can it be both?
8. What is one thing you will take away from this time in the life of Samson? How will it affect you?