The Light Within You
I. This Little LIGHT of MINE
A. A Light that SHINES Out from the EYES
v. 34; John 9:2; Matt. 20:15
B. A Light for GOOD or EVIL
Luke 11:34; Prov. 22:9, 23:6, 28:22
C. A Light that can be DARKNESS
II. The Effects of FAULTY VISION
A. Seeing the SAME Thing DIFFERENTLY
B. 6 WARNINGS against…
1. Inadequate TITHING v. 42
2. Concern over APPEARANCES v. 43
3. DEFILING the People v. 44
4. BURDENING the People v. 46
5. Repeating HISTORY v.47-51
6. MONOPOLIZING the KEY v. 52
III. Is Your Eye EVIL or GOOD?
A. What is EASY vs. What God DESIRES
B. PERFORMANCE vs. PURITY
C. CURSING vs. BLESSING
Mark 2:13-17; John 8:1-11; John 9:2
D. COMMANDS vs. COMPASSION
E. MEMORIALZING vs. HONOURING
F. GATEKEEPING vs. INVITATION
IV. SEE TO IT then…
A. What is the LIGHT within YOU?
B. Through JESUS we are able to See CLEARLY
C. The Gospel’s SIMPLE Call to OPEN our HANDS
Questions for Further Reflection
1. Kids’ Question: Have you ever sang the song This Little Light of Mine? How do you let your light shine?
2. How does the ancient understanding of eyesight affect your reading of this passage?
3. What do you do in your life to keep your lamp lit?
4. Think about a time when you saw things completely differently than someone else. What light was your lamp fuelled by in those moments?
5. Which of the woes directed at the Pharisees speaks most directly to you? Why is that?
6. So many of these woes come down to duplicity and selfishness. Conversely, what do you feel Jesus is calling us to?
7. What light is cast upon the things you look at? Begin praying that God through His Spirit might kindle the flame that would change Your vision to see things through His cross.