I am the True Vine
I. The Command: LOVE
John 15:12-17, 13:34-35; 1 John 3:11, 4:7-16
A. It is in GIVING that we RECEIVE
John 15:12-14, 17
B. The HUMANIZING effect of LOVE
C. Lovelessness = FRUITLESSNESS
John 15:4, I Cor. 13, Gal. 5:22-23
II. The Invitation: REMAIN
A. Where? In ME, in MY LOVE
B. Why? That you might BEAR FRUIT
C. How? LOVE
III. The True Vine: JESUS
John 15:1, 5
A. The True ISRAEL, the True HUMAN
Ps. 80:8, Isaiah 5, Jer. 2:21, Ps. 1
B. God DESIRES to Bring Forth FRUIT
C. Life INSIDE/OUTSIDE of the Vine
John 15:2-7, Gal. 5:19-23
The Command is to Love as Jesus did, that we might Live in His Love and Bear Fruit that reflects our source of Life.
Questions for Reflection:
1. Kids’ Question: Why do you think Jesus commands us to love each other?2. Share about a time you have experienced the truth of St. Francis’ words, “It is in giving that we receive.”
3. Why do you think Jesus calls His disciples friends?
4. How have you typically understood the word “Abide” in this passage?
5. Practically speaking, what do you think it means to “Remain in my love”?
6. What does it mean to bear fruit? Why should we bear fruit?
7. Why do you think Jesus uses the metaphor of a vine?
8. How does all of this relate to the concept of the Kingdom of God?