Hebrews: Greater Than… Part 4 Blessed Assurance Hebrews 5: 11-6:20 May 19, 2019
I. The DANGER of FALLING AWAY Heb. 6:4-8
A. CONTEXT is Key! Hebrews (all of it!)
B. A Reliance on DEAD WORKS Heb. 6:1-2, 6
C. A Question of FAITH Heb. 6:4-6, 12
II. OBTAINING our HOPE Heb. 6:9-18
A. DULLNESS and DILIGENCE Heb. 5:11, 6:11-12
B. Enduring the TEST Heb. 6:12-15, Gen. 22
C. Receiving the PROMISE Heb. 6:17-18
III. GRASPING the ANCHOR Heb. 6:19
A. EMBRACE the LURCH Heb. 6:19, Heb 11:1
B. Imitate the FAITHFUL and STEADFAST Heb. 6:12, Heb. 11
C. God will not ABANDON you Heb. 6:14, 13:5-6, Gen. 22:17-18, 2 Tim. 2:11-13, Romans 8:28-39
Questions for Further Reflection:
1. What have you typically thought about these warning passages in Hebrews? Have they scared you? Have they seemed confusing?
2. What role do works play in your relationship with God?
3. Kid’s Question: What does the word Faith mean to you?
4. Would you say that you are dull or diligent about your faith? How do you measure that?
5. How do you respond to trials and tests in your life? Do they weaken or strengthen your faith in God?
6. Outside of the Hebrews 11 crowd, who are the faithful and steadfast that you can imitate?
7. How do God’s promises to Abraham speak to you?
8. What do you think Melchizedek has to do with any of this?