Gospel Freedom – Part 8 Messy Gospel Part VIII Galatians 5:22-6:5 August 27th, 2017
Fulfill the Law of Christ
I. The Human Response to Sin
A. We ignore each other
B. We denounce each other (Galatians 5:26)
C. We compare ourselves (Galatians 5:15,20)
II. The Spirit-filled Response to Sin (Galatians 6:1-5)
A. We remain Faithful to each other (Galatians 5:22, 6:1)
B. We are Gentle in our approach (Galatians 5:22-23, 6:1)
C. We maintain Self Control (Galatians 5:22-23, 6:1)
III. The Temptation of Pride
A. Comparisons lead to vanity (Galatians 6:3)
B. Glorifying that which is glorious (1 Cor. 1:31, 2 Cor. 10:17)
C. Destructive deceptions (Galatians 6:3, 7, Matt. 7:3-5)
IV. The Law of Christ
A. Carry each other’s burdens… (Galatians 6:2)
B. … through the power of the Spirit… (Galatians 5:22-23)
C. … to the Glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31)
Questions for Further Discussion
1. What is your natural response to sin in other people’s lives? Do you ignore it? Do you quietly judge it? Do you loudly judge it? Do you take a mental note so you can remind yourself when your feeling down?
2. What about the Spirit-filled response to sin seems most foreign to you? Have you ever “carried someone else’s burden” in this way? What was the result?
3. Comparisons lead to vanity, but they are so tempting to make… Why do you suppose we are prone to compare ourselves?
4. Given the interconnectedness of biblical ideas like boast, exult, and glory, what are some things you glory in that are not worthy of glory? What are some things that should be glorified/boasted about?
5. Paul says if anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. How can we be sure of what we are?
6. All this time Paul says we are not to be under the law but now we are to fulfill the Law of Christ. How does Paul’s wordplay around the idea of the Law strike you?
7. How do you feel about the command to carry another’s burden? What about the idea that others are being commanded to carry your burden?
8. What do you need to ask of the Holy Spirit to enable you to fulfill the Law of Christ?