Family Meeting For What It’s Worth Colossians 3:1-17 and Acts 2:42-47 January 6, 2019
We Envision Lives Renewed – Our Community Transformed – By the Power of the Gospel
I. You are Your Values
A. Values Drive Your Decisions
B. Values Shape Your Journey
C. Values mean:
II. Gospel Values
A. Focused on Jesus (Col. 3:1-4,16-17; Acts 2:42)
B. Centred on Prayer (Col. 4:2, Acts 2:42)
C. Living as Family (Col. 3:11,13-15; Acts 2:42,44,46)
D. Seeking to Serve (Col. 3:12; Acts 2:45)
E. Pursuing Growth (Col. 3:5-10; Acts 2:42,46-47)
III. Devoting Ourselves
A. Choosing Jesus over the World (Colossians 2:6-8, Hebrews 12:1-2, Matt. 6:33)
B. Choosing Prayer over Preference (Ephesians 6:18, Philippians 4:6-7)
C. Choosing Each Other over Ourselves (Philippians 2:1-4)
D. Choosing Servanthood over Consumerism (Philippians 2:5-7, Galatians 6:9-10, I Peter 4:8-10)
E. Choosing Effort over Complacency (II Peter 1:5-8, Ephesians 3:14-21)
Questions for Further Reflection:
1. If you had to write a list of your own personal values, what would be your top 3? Whatabout for your family?
2. If you’re honest with yourself, what differences do you see between your natural values and what you’d like to value?
3. Do you have any experiences with doing the right thing the wrong way?
4. Which of our Community Values comes most naturally to you? Which one is the greatest struggle for you?
5. What is difficult about prayer for you? In what ways can you seek growth in this area? How can our church better value prayer?
6. What is difficult about the value of living as family? Does your family of origin experience make this easier or more difficult to envision?
7. Kids Question: Have you ever had to practice something to get better? How long did it take you to improve? What do you think that has to do with growth in our relationship with God?