Foundations – Exodus Who, in this story, are you? Exodus 32:1-14 November 11, 2018
I. WHAT the PEOPLE do. (v.1)
A. They STRUGGLE with SILENCE. (v.1; Ps 13:1-2)
B. How QUICKLY they FORGET. (v.1; Lam 3:19-22)
Mark Twain said that every person alive serves a purpose, even if it’s only to be a bad example. The Israelites in the wilderness often meet that qualification with flying colours. Today we see them bored after Moses has been on the mountain for 40 days and instead of waiting, they have to do something.
1. When have you struggled with what you might call the “silence of God”? What was that like for you?
2. What are some of the things that you can remember where God has acted for you? How can you keep those foremost in your mind during difficult times?
II. Aaron ATTEMPTS a RESPONSE. (v.2-6)
A. Good MOTIVE, bad DECISION. (v.2-4a,5)
B. Not the RESPONSE he EXPECTED. (v.4b, 6)
I think Aaron gets a bad rap here. I’m not sure what I would have done in his situation. He’s probably wondering if Moses is coming back or not too, so he takes some action to help the people remember Yahweh. I think we can see a good motive here, but a bad decision.
3. When have you made a poor decision, even though your motives seemed to be pure? How did that resolve?
4. How might this look in today’s world? What might people do (unwisely) to help others not give up on God?
III. MEANWHILE…on the MOUNTAIN…(v.7-13)
A. Moses LOVES difficult PEOPLE. (v.9-10)
B. Moses TRUSTS in God’s PROMISES. (v.11-13)
Moses shines brightly in this story, although not always in others, of the example that we should follow. He is presented with a tempting offer, let’s get rid of these people and I will make a great nation out of you. But instead of leaving them to be destroyed he loves them and trusts God to do what He said He would do.
5. Kid’s Question: Who do you find it hard to love? Will you ask God to help you learn to love them as He loves them?
6. In your opinion, how are trusting God’s promises and loving difficult people related?
IV. WHO am I ? (Ps. 139:23-24)
A. People – IMPULSIVE and FORGETFUL? (v.9; Hosea 13:6)
B. Aaron – PROPPING God UP? (v.5; Gen 16:1-2; Jn 18:10-11)
C. Moses – LOVING people and TRUSTING God? (v.11-13; 1 Jn 4:11,16)
So time to hold the mirror of Scripture up and take a look deep into our own soul. In our day to day lives how do we react? And why? Which character from our text today reveals what is going on in our own heart?
7. With which of the three characters in the text do you identify most?
8. How can you tell if you have “come to know and rely on the love of God”? (I Jn 4:16)