When the Gospel Goes on Mission
I. The GOSPEL is for EVERYONE
Acts 16:9, 13-14, 16-18, 29-34
A. Lydia: A GOD-FEARING BUSINESS WOMAN
B. Slave Girl: A DEMON-POSSESSED WITNESS
C. Jailer: A PAGAN EX-SOLDIER
II. The Gospel looks different with Everyone
A. Gospel as COMPELLING MESSAGE v. 13
B. Gospel as BOLD CONFRONTATION v. 18
C. Gospel as SELF-DENYING ACTION v. 25, 28, 31, Phil. 2:1-11
III. The Gospel CHANGES HOW WE SEE Everyone
A. Lydia: From RESOURCE to RECEIVER v. 14-15; ch.17:24-25
B. Slave Girl: From a NUISANCE to a NEEDY PERSON v. 16-18; Luke 18:1-8
C. Jailer: From ENEMY to FRIEND v. 23-34; Romans 5:10; Colossians 1:21-22
IV. The Gospel THEN and NOW
A. A new way of SEEING
i. Your MISSION might be DIFFERENT than you THINK v. 6-13
ii. EVERYONE needs JESUS Acts 4:12, 15:6-20, Galatians 3:28
B. A new way of LIVING
i. ABUNDANT LIFE not SIN REDUCTION v. 13-14, 18, 28, I Peter 2:11-12
ii. Our lives are a PROCLAMATION Col. 3:17, Matt. 5:16
Questions for Further Reflection
1. Kid’s Question: We say this word a lot, but what does it mean? What is the Gospel?
2. What does it mean to share the Gospel with people? Do you find it difficult or easy? What parts come naturally for you?
3. Who do Lydia, the Slave Girl, and the Jailer represent to you in your own life? Are someharder to share the Gospel with than others? Do some look like they need it more or less than others?
4. What is your default way of viewing others? Do you see other people as potential friends,as competition, as useless, as resources, as annoyances, as necessary evils, as children of God, as threats, etc.? Why do you think you fundamentally view others this way? How does the Gospel speak to this?
5. Has there been a time when God has put barriers in the way of something you thought you should be doing? What feelings arose out of those times? What did you learn?
6. In what ways has a Gospel of sin reduction robbed you of abundant life?
7. “Preach the Gospel at all times… if necessary use words.” When is the last time youpreached the Gospel? When did you last use the “necessary” words?
8. Who/what in your life are you challenged to see differently now in light of the Gospel?