Jesus Continues What He Started
I. Luke/Acts: The CONTINUING work of JESUS. (v.1-5)
A. He is ALIVE and WELL. (v.1-3)
B. The MESSAGE has not CHANGED. (Lk. 4:43; v.3)
C. The GIFT that is COMING. (v.4-5)
For the season of Mission here at GBC we continue this year into the book of Acts. Biblical Scholars view Luke and Acts as two parts of the same story. Luke is continuing on in the story of Jesus to see how Jesus continues to work in the early church…and also how He continues to work today in us.
1. Kid’s Question: If you could ask Jesus one question, what would you ask?
2. If you had to explain to someone outside the church what Jesus meant by the “Kingdom of God” what would you say?
II. The ROLE of His FOLLOWERS. (v.6-8)
A. It’s NOT to know EVERYTHING. (v.6-7)
B. But to be INDWELT and EMPOWERED. (v.8)
C. And to WITNESS to the whole EARTH. (v.8)
There are some insights into the role that we are to play as disciples/followers of Jesus. And they may surprise you. We often minimize the potential for what we can do for the Kingdom of God…or we overestimate what the Kingdom needs from us. Jesus makes it clear in these first verses of Acts what our role actually is to be.
3. What is the difference to you between a witness and someone who knows factual (or doctrinal) information? How does that impact how you look at sharing your faith?
4. Our witness flows out of our relationship with God. How would you describe that relationship in your own life at the moment?
III. A PROPHECY from Daniel FULFILLED (v.9-11; Dan. 7:13-14)
A. A FUNDAMENTAL shift of REALITY. (v.9; Dan. 7:1-14)
B. The PROMISE of His RETURN. (v.10-11; Rev. 21-22)
Luke also points back to a prophecy from the book of Daniel as he references Jesus’ ascension on the clouds. It’s a powerful message that this moment testifies to the fact that everything about everything is different now because of the resurrection.
5. On a scale of 1-10, how challenging is it for you to believe the truth of that the shift in reality that Jeff spoke of? What makes it challenging (or easy) for you to believe?
6. How does the hope of Jesus’ return shape your life today? (Read Col. 1:4-5 for some insight if needed.)
IV. Our CALLING in the MEANWHILE. (v.11; Phil. 3:20-21)
A. To TRUST in the one who is WORKING. (v.1,8; Acts 4:23-31)
B. To witness to a RELATIONSHIP not a CONCEPT. (v.5-8; Acts 4:13)
C. To go BEYOND what is COMFORTABLE. (v.8; Phil. 4:11-13)
Don’t just stand there looking up. That was the message of the angels. Jesus will come again, just as he ascended…but until then we have a calling to fulfill. A purpose to live out. Jesus is still working and invites us to participate in what He is doing.
7. What are some specific ways that you can “witness” to your relationship with God this week?
8. Where might God be calling you to go beyond your own comfort level this week? How will you respond?